Buying a Cuban Domain Name Dot.cu
With an ever increasing interest in Cuban business opportunities and trade, I know that many of you are interested in developing a website with the idea of placing and positioning yourself in the market, for the future and are thus keen on a dot.cu domain.
Restrictions and Regulations
Dot.cu is the suffix for web domain names and there are certain rules and restrictions that need to be met if you wish to own a dot.cu domain. The main rules are as follows:
- All Cuban names are registered through the Cuban Registry who go by the name CUBANIC (you can find them on http://nic.cuba.cu/). They administer and manage all dot.cu domains.
- CITMATEL manage the overall process for CUBANIc and CITMATEL in case you are wondering is the Cuban Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment.
- Dot.cu is the highest level domain for Cuba.
- You can search for available Cuban suffix domains but at the time of checking one domain shows as costing GBP £666.90 for 1 year (roughly USD$1000) on Nominate.com, which seems an extraordinarily high price! The price is matched on bb-online.com
- Dot.cu domains are NOT restricted to Cuban business and those based on the island. These domains can be owned by foreign entities.
- There are no real restrictions on buying a top level Cuban domain url name except for the incredibly high price which they presently cost.